there is no escape from my magic doors
for those who are once brought inside
queueriouser and queueriouser
the women are the strong ones, truly.
The Fellowship of the Ring + Green and Blue
Empty Chairs At Empty Tables by Ramin Karimloo from The Road to Find Out: East EP
While the Silmarillion and LotR are the most common places to find Glorfindel, you can actually find bits of him in several other works:
- “The Fall of Gondolin" (found in The Book of Lost Tales Part 2): This is the earliest source of Glorfindel information, and (if you’re looking at his “first life”) the most detailed. It focuses especially on his place in Gondolin, and his part in the city’s fall.
- “Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin" (found in The Silmarillion): This is basically the super-summarized version of The Fall of Gondolin. In this version, Glorfindel’s story is basically reduced to his duel with the balrog and his death, but it’s still probably the most widely-accepted account of his “first life”
- “Last Writings: Glorfindel" (found in The Histories of Middle Earth vol. 12): If you’re trying to figure out how to connect “Glorfindel I” with “Glorfindel II” (that is, the first and second lives of Glorfindel), this is the essay for you - it’s just a short account of how Tolkien justified using the name in Lord of the Rings, and how he explained Glorfindel’s return to Middle Earth.
- “Gondor and the Heirs of Anarion" (found in the Lord of the Rings Appendix A): This is really the only snippet we get of Glorfindel’s second life in Middle Earth before he meets Frodo and the others. He just plays a small part in the story of the fall of Angmar.
- “Lord of the Rings”: Glorfindel shows up in several chapters in Fellowship of the Ring (from “Flight to the Ford” to “The Ring Goes South”, which include his part in saving Frodo, as well as his part in the Council of Elrond. He’s also mentioned briefly in Return of the King as being present at Arwen and Aragorn’s wedding.
Have fun learning more about the absolute best character (And that’s a fact. Totally not my own personal opinion. Nope, not at all.)
SOURCES: All the pieces listed above
((Beautiful artwork by John Howe))